Sunday, December 18, 2011

James Island Connector Run 2011

Pre-race...so cold!

Well, the connector run, aka my first EVER 10k was November 11, 2011. It was really chilly outside, and the connector was INSANELY windy. We were running out and and the bikers coming back were having to get off of their bikes and walk at the top. Needless to say, it was really rough.

Also, just the one practice run on the connector (which is apparently illegal now, but not enforced) was not enough. We'd been running on completely flat surfaces, so the inclines on the bridge were really rough. Not really looking forward to training for the Cooper River Bridge Run on March 31st.

Before the run, I had some Gatorade Primes left over from rugby season. You need carbs/energy before a long run, right? Not in THIS form. I payed for that bad life decision the rest of the day after the race. Once my digestive system got back online, it went crazy. Not fun at all. I love it for rugby, not so much for running.
MORAL: Don't drink Gatorade Prime before a run. EVER.
Anyway, between wanting to throw up, the inclines and doing the first 2 miles at an 8min/mile pace (RIDICULOUS), I somehow managed to beat my goal and finish in 57:06 (9:13 min/mile). My clock had it at a little faster, but the tracking chips all started at the same time. So I guess my goal on the bridge run should be anything faster than that!

-Jess

Things I learned this race:
1. PACE YOURSELF!
2. NEVER drink Gatorade Prime before a race.
3. No matter how cold, I can't stand gloves, hats or long sleeves.
4. Practice hills more than once before a race:P

No comments:

Post a Comment